pfsense installation and configuration in vmware
Asalam o alikum, today we will learn about pfsense installation and configuration in vmware
If you don’t know where to download pfsense and vmware , please check out the posts below.
Today we will install pfsense in vmware and then configure it using our web browser (GUI)
Open vmware. Click on “Create a new virtual machine” button and follow the steps mentioned below
- A pop up windows will be diusplayed , proceed with typical settings. Click Next
- In Next window, setup will ask you to either insert a disk or select ISO image . Click on 2nd option i.e Installer disk image , then click “Browse” and select ISO image of pfsense & Click “Next”
- On Next 2-3 screen, leave default settings and just click Next
- On last screen , select Customize Harware” , as we will add 1 more Network adapter.
- For WAN interface, we will select the settings to “Bridged, replicate physcal network state”
- For LAN interface i.e Network adapter 2, we will select Custom, VM-Net 1 (Host only )
- Finally click Finish
PFSENSE VM will automatically start , if not click on VM and click “Start” button.
After successfully bootup a trademark window will be displayed, Press “Enter” to proceed to next step.
On next screen select “Install“. Next “continue with Default keymap“
Next a window will appear asking you , how would you like to partition your disk? Select “Auto UFS BIOS”
Now let the setup install Pfsense
Upon successful installation a window will prompt , asking whether you want to make any modifications , select “NO” and then “Reboot“
select “NO” and then “Reboot“.
After pfsense installation , it will show you main CLI page.
Using the CLI page you can change interface names, assign interfaces, Change IP of LAN and WAN Interfaces, ping etc
HOW TO ACCESS IN WEB BROWSER?
To access it in web browser, we will have to create a second virtual machine of windows OS .
For this tutorial i’ve already created a windows 7 virtual machine. We will change its adapter settings to VM-Net 1 and assign it a IP from same subnet as that of Pfsense LAN.
Noe open a web browser and type IP of pfsense, in my case its 192.168.1.10
Default username is “admin” and Password is “pfsense“
As soon as you login, a setup wizard will appear and will guide you through initial installation steps
On welcome& support page simply next “Next” button
Next “General settings page” will be displayed.
- Here you can change Hostname, assign primary and secondary DNS , Domain name
Next page allows you to configure “Time server”, Click Next if you don’t have one
On the next page, we can configure WAN interface settings .
- You can choose to obtain IP Address automatically via DHCP
- Assign static IP or via PPP
- Leave others settings to default and Click “Next“
On next page, you can change IP address and subnet mask of LAN Interface
Next the setup will prompt you to change Admin account password, Enter new credentials and click “Next”
Finally click “Reload“
After this step pfsense will reboot
Congratx you’ve configured pfsense!